The Business District of West Chestnut Street
They joined Georgia Cleopatra in business and the firm was renamed G.C. Williams and Sisters Funeral Directors and Embalmers. The three sisters operated the business at its 1123 West Chestnut Street location.
Following the deaths of the Williams sisters, the flourishing funeral business was purchased and sold in 1962 to Mr. Calvin R. Winstead, a funeral director and embalmer.
Mr. Winstead continued to operate the business from the Chestnut Street location for the next two years.
A Merger to Increase Our Business Footprint
In 1964, Mr. Winstead purchased the William W. Beckett Funeral Home and Incorporated it with his current firm.
The new (combined) business was relocated to the present address 1935 West Broadway and renamed G.C Williams Funeral Home, Inc.
Responding to community growth, new additions and expansion to the existing building were designed and completed. Dedication services and open house for the community was held on Sunday, November 4, 1973.
Additional expansions over the years have provided modern spacious work areas and apartment space for students pursuing a career in Mortuary Science.
Increasing growth of the business and the commitment to provide personalized service has dictated an increase in business personnel.
Employees have increased in number from four to fifteen.
In January 1994, Mr. Hugh L. Winstead Jr. and Mr. Jasper Q. Crenshaw entered into partnership and purchased the funeral home. Upscale renovation and redecoration plans were implemented and completed in April 1996.
Continuing the Legacy
The newly renovated firm has given the building a look of modernization that will last into the new millennium.
The dedicated staff continues to serve this community with the same dignity and commitment expressed by founder, Ms. Georgia C. Williams in 1937 and that of Mr. Calvin R. Winstead who passed in 2003.